Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My trip to the windy city

So, I got the chance to go to Chicago.  I took it and had a ton of fun working in my friends studio.  I got around 270 small pots thrown and some larger ones.  I also got to go, to…The Chicago Art Institute's Art Museam was really excited because that is where they house the Thorn Collection, 60 rooms build on a 1 1/2 scale
totally amazing.  They also have a really awesome collection of Impressionism art, cool furniture and statues.   Here are some of the snap shots.  Really wish I have my cannon with me it takes better pictures. 

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 04111-09,12-09 and chicago trip 042 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 043 We went sledding, warming up with hot chocolate. 

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 044So this is were I worked.  The taller wheel is used for trimming normal sized pots has a griffin grip on it, which is great if you know how to use it.  I don’t, failed on it.  There are shelves off to the left that you can’t see in this picture which work great cause you throw move to boards then put of the self and there is more room.  Really like this because, One doesn’t matter how hot, cold, wet, no bugs, no weird people coming by interrupting work AND there is a TV with a DVD player.  Bone marathon all the way. 
He’s also got a really nice kiln.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 045 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 047 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 046 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 049The bean.  Fun interactive art sculpture thingy.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 111 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 112 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 113 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 114 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 115 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 116 

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 118

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, these I think were call the Scarf Dancers.  Anyway in person
they are breath taking.  Really well done and an inspiration to
what I will be working on this semester. 

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 087 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 088
this is a writing desk like the one mom has in the entry way.
Bytheway I call that desk, Just incase my dearest siblings you really do read my blog.  I have it in writing MUHAHAHHAHA.
this one is Birds eye maple and really pretty the photo doesn’t do it justice.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 059 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 051 11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 053

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 054 
few of things I like from the Chinese art.  They had the Japanese section closed till the fall.  Talk about a bummer, really more of a
Japanese pottery fan than Chinese potter, thought the Chinese have a really perfected the Celadon's glaze over porcelain.  As for 2d art between the two, I would say Chinese water color wins.  The lines aren’t as harsh, and is very flowy.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 082 I want this lock.
Click on this picture to see it larger.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 083 Mom this is what you need in for the kitchen fire place.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 086 Tiffany lamp 1900’s really like how it looked. 

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 106 Black Figure Wear Pottery from Greece for got the time period. 

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 109 Really cool form, SO going to make this,  just think of the punch this can hold.

11-09,12-09 and chicago trip 048 This is my friend, that I helped out.  Surprised him, so the picture isn’t the best. the other one he has a cup in his face.

Well that about sums it up.

2 comments:

M and W said...

Can't call furniture. Looks like you had a fun trip.

Mountain Birdie said...

I can to call the funiture. Just did HA